Anne represents insurers and insureds in complex insurance coverage and bad faith cases. Her focus is primarily in the areas of professional malpractice, commercial liability and directors & officers insurance. She also advises insurers, including captive insurers and risk retention groups serving major healthcare systems and large provider groups, on issues related to claims-handling and settlement, and has appeared for insurers in trial and appellate courts in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont.
Anne also has worked on a variety of commercial litigation matters outside of the insurance area, including intellectual property disputes and antitrust investigations. She also has represented tenants on a pro bono basis in a number of housing disputes, and was honored by the Boston Volunteer Lawyers Project for her successful representation of an elderly homeowner when he signed an agreement to sell his long-time home without understanding the significance of the document.
U.S. Courts of Appeals, First and D.C. Circuits
U.S. District Courts, Districts of Massachusetts and New Hampshire
Boston College, J.D. 1992 magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
Member, Boston College Law Review
University of Illinois, MSLIS 1986
Bryn Mawr College, B.A. 1985 magna cum laude
- Successfully argued before the Vermont Supreme Court that a sexual misconduct exclusion barred coverage for a suit also alleging malpractice in the course of treatment.
- Obtained summary judgment for insured directors and officers in one of the few cases nation-wide to address whether a liability insurer must defend a government investigation against its insureds.
- Represented a professional liability insurer in numerous declaratory judgment actions involving the interpretation and application of its policies.
- Advised self-insured hospitals regarding coverage disputes with excess insurers, and represented them in coverage litigation.
- Advised a risk retention group that covers providers nationwide and represented it in claims handling litigation.
My partner and I recently embarked on the rejuvenation of a 174-year-old farmhouse sitting on 28 acres. In what little spare time that isn’t devoted to home improvements and ambitious gardening, I try to squeeze in some running, reading and rooting for the Red Sox.