Art has more than 30 years of experience in all types of environmental and land use matters. He has effectively advised and represented parties in hundreds of contamination disputes, recovering tens of millions of dollars from responsible parties and insurers and effectively defending our clients. He has successfully handled zoning and other permitting disputes involving big box retailers, educational institutions and churches, industrial facilities, subdivisions, child care centers, affordable housing and range of other projects.
The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law; “Lawyer of the Year” for Environmental Litigation in Boston (2014)
Chambers USA, Environmental Law
Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Boston Bar Association – Environmental Law Section, former Co-Chair
Real Estate Bar Association (REBA) for Massachusetts – Neutrals Panel
Town of Belmont – Town Meeting, Conservation Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Columbia Law School, J.D. 1981 with honors
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A. 1977 cum laude
- Serves as Duxbury Town Counsel.
- Represents the City of Attleboro at a multi-party Superfund site.
- Negotiated Consent Judgment with state at Superfund site in Danvers.
- Successfully development agreements and zoning amendments for an industrial landowner in Stoneham.
- Successfully represented a residential developer in a cluster of cases against the Stockbridge Planning Board.
- Defeated zoning and historic appeals regarding a mixed-use project in Cambridge centered on restoration of a unique historic church.
- Successfully defended an innovative homeless clinic/housing facility against a zoning and urban renewal appeal in Boston.
- Successfully represented clients against a large proposed earth removal project abutting Route 3 in Plymouth.
- Certified mediator of environmental and land use disputes.
- Expert witness in state and federal environmental and insurance cases.
- Court-appointed Master in a municipal sewage dispute.
- Hearing Officer in local landfill site assignment hearings.
- Hearing Officer in an HAC affordable housing appeal.
Art has published many continuing legal education articles. He regularly participates in panel discussions on environmental, insurance and land use law.
Pro bono work:
- Oceana – Suing the Government of Belize regarding proposed off-shore oil drilling; won in the trial court.
- Biolab – Representing neighborhood groups against siting of a bio-terror lab in Roxbury/South End.
- CLEAN – Advising a citizens group regarding the 100+ acre Parker Street Waste Site in New Bedford.
- Connecticut River Watershed Council – Successfully represented a non-profit against DEP and a private party regarding restoration of the Chickley River in Hawley, MA.