Nina specializes in helping public and private sector clients navigate issues related to real estate, construction, land use and public law. She is particularly adept at drafting agreements and contracts in those areas to protect her clients, and litigating such matters when they are tested. She has successfully litigated land use and construction matters for her clients at all levels in Massachusetts and Federal courts.
Nina also regularly advises public sector clients such as the Towns of Acton, Dover, Lexington and Concord, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), and the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, on a full range of legal matters – from compliance issues to complex litigation. Her experience includes developing and advising on procurements, providing support for Town Meeting and public or administrative hearings, and training on the requirements of the State Ethics Act, the Open Meeting Law and the Public Records Act.
Massachusetts Super Lawyers - Rising Stars, 2015, 2016
Boston Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Land Use and Development Committee Co-Chair
Pickering Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees
Real Estate Litigation Section of American Bar Association, Co-Vice Chair of Content
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
Boston University School of Law, J.D. 2006 magna cum laude
Note Editor, Boston University Law Review
Bates College, B.S. 2000 cum laude
- Defeated a claim by Washington, D.C. advocacy group against a town for grants made under the Community Preservation Act to preserve two historic churches. Case is on appeal to Supreme Judicial Court.
- Advising a major developer in Boston on construction and related contracts for proposed retail, commercial and residential tower.
- Won the dismissal of a large class action against MBTA for service disruptions in the winter of 2015.
- Successfully arbitrated a dispute over a real estate option contract for developer client.
- Obtained settlement for developer client through mediating claims against surveyor.
- Successfully overturned regulations on Martha’s Vineyard that prohibited development.
- Negotiated below market commercial lease for client in settlement of zoning claims over proposed development.
- Defended a Town against a zoning challenge from daycare under the so-called Dover Amendment.
- Defended a Town against claims alleging procurement misconduct, including appeals.
- Defended the City of Philadelphia in federal court over plans to expand its airport.
- Defended an airport in a multi-count federal action, including RICO and antitrust claims, resulting in dismissal.
- Defended a Town against claims by the contractor of a recreation complex, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Represented a community group in shutting down a non-compliant hazardous waste transfer facility located in an environmental justice neighborhood.
- "Preparing for Your First Appellate Oral Argument: A Practical Primer," and "Can Condemnation by Injunction by Gas Companies Be More Broadly Applied?" Real Estate Litigation, ABA Section of Litigation, Summer 2014 (editor)
- Chapter 7, Municipal Law, 2012 MCLE Supplement, Handbook of Legal Research in MA (9/5/12)
When not working, Nina tries to get outside with her husband and kids for adventures as much as possible, whether that be running, hiking, sailing or sledding. The best of those adventures take place in her native State of Maine.