Steve represents clients with complex governmental, permitting, land use and environmental matters. He handles high profile, time-sensitive and controversial transactions for government entities and municipalities, corporations, property owners and developers, telecommunication companies, and other private entities. Clients praise Steve’s expertise, attention to detail and work ethic.
The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law and Litigation
The International Who’s Who of Environmental Lawyers
Massachusetts Super Lawyers
New England Wireless Association, former member of the Board of Directors
Andover Zoning Board, former Chair
Committee for Professional Responsibility for the Clerks of the Courts, former Member
Board of Bar Overseers for District 2 (Middlesex and Essex), former Hearing Panel Member
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. District Courts, Districts of Massachusetts and of New Hampshire
Univ. of Michigan Law School, J.D. 1977 magna cum laude
Michigan Law Review
Harvard College, A.B. 1974 magna cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
- Outside counsel to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission. Helped establish its governance and regulatory structure, which manages competing interests in the newly-established Massachusetts gaming industry.
- Acton town counsel.
- Special municipal counsel for:
- Inter-municipal disputes.
- Development and infrastructure projects.
- Mitigation of project impacts.
- Complex affordable housing projects.
- Environmental matters: federal and state permitting, environmental enforcement proceedings, and special projects related to Boston Harbor clean-up litigation.
- Represent a global telecommunication carrier building significant infrastructure in challenging development environments over many state and local jurisdictions.
- Advise FCC-licensed wireless carriers on hundreds of permitting, transactional, administrative and judicial proceedings in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- Oversee complex federal and state Superfund cases, including litigation, mediation, and settlement.
- Recovered tens of millions in environmental remediation costs, remedial actions, and damages from responsible parties, and defense costs and indemnity proceeds from insurers.
Steve has published articles on environmental and telecom law, such as the "Massachusetts Superior Court Civil Practice Jury Instructions," G.L. c. 21E Claims, MCLE (2011) (with Hon. P. Brady) and "Telecommunication Facility Siting: Creative Settlement Strategies for Land Use Development Litigation," CLE International (5/12/2006) (with M.L. Brenninkmeyer).
Steve has taught adjunct courses at Boston College Law School (Advanced Environmental Law and Administrative Law) and Franklin Pierce Law Center (Environmental Law), as a lecturer at Harvard College (seminar on the regulation of nuclear energy), and at many continuing legal education seminars on land use and development, telecom, affordable housing, environmental cost recovery, allocation and damages, and use of experts in environmental cases.
Having served for more than 15 years on the Andover Board of Appeals, including many years as its Chair, Steve helped guide Andover’s permitting of affordable housing to be one of the leading communities in the state.
Steve hikes (he completed NH’s forty-eight 4,000 footers in 2013), bikes (he has been a "heavy hitter" from 2013-2016 for Pan Mass Challenge raising funds to benefit the Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund), and swims several times a week for recreation.