Steve litigates complex insurance cases, and represents corporations in legal malpractice claims. He has had multiple million and ten million dollar recoveries.
In addition, Steve drafts policies to protect against emerging risks, such as cyber and evolving directors and officers exposures. He helps corporations overcome coverage denials – achieving recoveries of $1 million or more seven times in the last few years.
Steve has established new rights for clients in precedent-setting insurance cases, including the leading case in Massachusetts on coverage for defamation, the right to coverage for indoor pollution and “sick building” claims in the First Circuit. He also litigated Massachusetts’ leading duty to defend case.
Steve has over 30 years’ experience. His clients include Acheron Capital (a London-based hedge fund), Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, PTC, Inc. and American Tower Corporation.
Since the early 1980’s, Steve has been the principal outside coverage counsel for the Controlled Risk Insurance Company (CRICO), the first medical malpractice captive created in the US. Steve has helped draft policy language for CRICO, handled reinsurance disputes and litigated bad faith and coverage disputes.
The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law
Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Boston's Best Lawyers
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
American Bar Association
American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel, Elected Fellow
Guest Lecturer, Harvard Law School -- Advanced Topics in Insurance Law, Prof. Bruce Hay (Fall 2014, 2015).
U.S. Court of Appeals, First and Second Circuits
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Courts pro hac vice, Connecticut, Kansas, Nevada, Texas, Vermont
Boston College Law School, J.D. 1978 cum laude
Editor, Boston College Law Review
University of Rochester, B.A. 1974 with distinction
- Secured a $22 million reimbursement for legal expenses in an antitrust case for an insured client from insurers that had contested the coverage and the basis for the amount sought.
- Obtained a $9 million legal fee settlement from D&O insurers in a case about a dispute with a Hong Kong joint venturer, for a casino development company.
- Obtained millions of dollars in settlements for a national restaurant chain, health care company and real estate developer in legal malpractice cases.
- Obtained D&O coverage for a publicly-traded hotel chain in a suit alleging breach of fiduciary duty.
- Advised a hedge fund on regulatory aspects of acquiring multi-million dollar portfolios of life insurance policies held in receiverships. Negotiated and settled related coverage claims.
- For a client sued in a qui tam action, obtained D&O coverage. For a client subpoenaed by the IRS, obtained D&O coverage.
- Obtained millions in insurance coverage for a biotech company for a spilled drug.
I am a fan of the Red Sox, jazz, theater, and all things Boston. Should you need a Boston-area restaurant recommendation, I can help you out.