A&K has long-served as Town Counsel to a select group of Massachusetts towns. We handle the full range of legal work for:
Examples of our Town Counsel work include:
- We helped Acton complete a complex land purchase, which both preserved active farmland and remediated a contaminated site.
- We helped Acton, Belmont, Concord and Lexington develop solar power systems on municipal property. Solar power will help these communities be green, and significantly reduce their energy costs.
- After the Boston Marathon bombings, we helped Lexington sort out the First Amendment implications of canceling a Guns Rights Across America rally to accommodate the manhunt’s demands on the Town’s police resources.
A&K also serves many Massachusetts municipalities as Special Town Counsel. In this role, we handle litigation and a range of transactional matters including real estate transactions, alternative energy projects and affordable housing permitting. We have represented dozens of cities and towns as special counsel.
Some recent examples of our special counsel work include:
- We helped Attleboro with a Superfund site that was partly within its borders, helping it successfully mediate its liability with the many potentially responsible private parties, and negotiating a consent decree with the Department of Justice.
- We helped Cambridge acquire East Cambridge properties in connection with one of the largest private developments in the City. We also helped it with its sewer infrastructure improvement project, undertaken as part of the Boston Harbor clean-up litigation.
- We have worked as site assignment hearing officers for numerous sitings of hazardous waste facilities in Massachusetts.