A&K has long-served as Town Counsel to several of Massachusetts towns. We handle the full range of legal work for:
Examples of our Town Counsel work include:
- We advised Belmont, Concord, Ipswich, Lexington, Winchester, and Wrentham on bylaws to regulate recreational marijuana use following passage of a state ballot initiative allowing it for the first time.
- We wrote regulations for Concord, Dover, and Lexington, limiting youth access to tobacco products.
- We advised the Town of Concord on the drafting and implementation of a ban on single serve water bottles, helping contribute to the Town’s environmental sustainability goals.
- We helped negotiate several land acquisitions for Lexington and assisted on construction contract drafting as part of the Town’s comprehensive program to upgrade school and public safety facilities.
- We helped Acton complete a complex land purchase, which both preserved active farmland and remediated a contaminated site.
- We helped Acton, Dover and Lexington develop solar power systems on municipal and school properties. Solar power will significantly reduce their energy costs.
- After the Boston Marathon bombings, we defended Lexington’s cancellation of a Guns Rights Across America rally to allow local law enforcement to focus on responding to the ongoing situation.
A&K also serves many Massachusetts municipalities as Special Town Counsel. In this role, we handle litigation and a range of transactional matters including real estate transactions, alternative energy projects and affordable housing permitting. We have represented dozens of cities and towns as special counsel.
Some recent examples of our special counsel work include:
- We helped Attleboro successfully mediate its liability for a local Superfund site with the many potentially responsible private parties, and negotiate a consent decree with the Department of Justice.
- We have worked as site assignment hearing officers for numerous sitings of hazardous waste facilities in Massachusetts.