Colin provides environmental compliance counseling to manufacturing, transportation, energy, health care, and higher education entities, including in response to regulator inquiries and enforcement actions, by negotiating and implementing settlements.
Colin also advocates for property owners and tenants and other industrial and commercial parties across a range of industries in significant environmental cleanup and cost recovery disputes, including in federal and state courts. He negotiates agreements to limit his clients’ obligations, he coordinates review of technical reports, aggressively identifies opportunities for settlement, and engages in multi-party allocation efforts.
Colin advises developers, owners, and other proponents on environmental requirements and risks associated with development projects. Colin works with project proponents to identify and execute environmental permitting strategies, to work with stakeholders to avoid litigation, and to aggressively pursue resolution of disputes. He also guides them through the remediation and redevelopment of contaminated properties under federal and state programs, in New England and throughout the U.S.
Chambers USA, Massachusetts Environmental Law (2020)
Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Environmental (2019-2020)
Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star – Environmental (2009 –2017)
The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law (2021)
Zoo New England, Board Vice Chair
Lawyers for Civil Rights Boston, Board Member
Mass Bays National Estuary Program, Management Committee Vice Chair
American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Marketing Committee Chair
Boston Bar Association Environmental Law Section Air Quality and Climate Change Committee, Past Chair
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Boston University School of Law, J.D.
Wesleyan University, B.A.
- Advised former airport operator on response to detection of PFAS in drinking water reservoir.
- Favorably resolved Clean Air Act enforcement case against national transportation company, including development of national audit and compliance strategy affecting operations in 40 states and provinces.
- Provided wetlands permitting advice to electric utilities and homeowners.
- Advised residential developer on acquisition and redevelopment, including allocation of responsibility for remediation, of former manufacturing facility.
- Negotiated favorable Superfund settlements for multiple Fortune 10 corporations by minimizing financial and/or performance obligations.
- Negotiating response to natural resources damages claims at former manufacturing gas plant site.
- Counseled national waste management company in multi-site environmental compliance audit, including guidance on management changes and employee communications.
- Successfully resolved TSCA enforcement proceedings against defense contractor without a penalty. Developed remediation strategy to avoid interruption of business operations.
- Advised multiple clients in successful negotiations to ease limits imposed by National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permits.
- Panelist, Emerging Contaminants/PFAS, ACI-NA
- A Few Thoughts on EPA’s Updated SEP Policy, Natural Resources & Environment
- Tracing the Supreme Court’s Treatment of CERCLA, Law360
- Upcoming Ban on Food Waste Should Be Boon for State, Boston Business Journal
- Co-author, Encouraging Pro Bono Efforts by In-House Counsel, New England In House
- Guest Lecturer, Suffolk Law School
- Speaker, Brownfields Redevelopment, Mel King Institute
Colin lives in Sharon with his wife, Liv, their three daughters, a dog, and a flock of chickens. They’re avid hikers, skiers, and road-trippers. Colin coaches youth softball and is involved in a variety of local activities.
Colin maintains an active pro bono caseload focused on environmental and civil rights matters. He also serves on the boards of several organizations and is heavily involved in American Bar Association and Boston Bar Association activities.