Harvey helps clients with commercial litigation, in particular insurance coverage, personal injury and products liability cases. He represents clients in insurance disputes involving professional liability, employment practices, environmental, construction defects, property, and other coverage areas. He has also litigated copyright and trademark actions. Harvey has over 25 years’ experience in these areas.
The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law (2019)
American Bar Association, Member
Self-Insurers and Risk Managers Committee, former Chair
Boston Bar Association -- Insurance Law Committee, former Chair
CGL Reporter, Contributing Editor
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Northeastern University Law School, J.D. 1990
School of the Art Institute of Chicago, M.F.A. 1981
Bard College, B.A. 1976
- Won two First Circuit appeals for an insurer, defeating one insured’s $2 million indemnification and defense costs claim, and separately vacating summary judgment for a second insured.
- Advised on design professional insurance coverage issues under an owner-controlled insurance policy for Big Dig cost recovery and personal injury claims.
- For insurers, rescinded policies for misrepresentations in applications for auto and yacht coverage.
- Represented an insurer in an action that established that a medical professional liability policy does not cover the negligent hiring and retention of an employee who abused a patient.
- Defended complex products liability claims involving home appliances, manufacturing equipment and other products.
- Litigated for a publisher on contract and copyright issues resulting from the resale of books consigned for recycling.
- Reasonable Expectations: Interpreting Policies in Common Law Jurisdictions (New England Chapters), ABA Book Publishing (2016)
- Allocation of Defense Costs Among Insurers, TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Midyear Meeting (2016)
- Can an Insurer who Breaches the Duty to Defend Contest Indemnity? TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Midyear Meeting (2013)
- Massachusetts Environmental Law, “Insurance Issues” chapter (MCLE, rev. 2013)
- CGL Coverage for Invasion of Privacy: Recent Cases and Trends, CGL Reporter (2011)
- Crafting the Key Documents in Insurance Coverage Litigation, TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Midyear Program (2009)
- Recent Developments Affecting Self-Insurers and Risk Managers, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal (2006)
- Insuring Software Developers in Cyberspace: The Plaintiff’s Perspective, The Brief (1996)
I am a jazz drummer; the author of The Pond Report, a video blog documenting life in and around a twenty-acre pond in north Middlesex County; and a member of the board of Mass Movement, a youth summer dance program. I am a former member of the Town of Shirley Planning Board.