Jon is a litigator who focuses his practice primarily on construction. He has over a decade of experience representing the full spectrum of project participants (including general contractors, subcontractors, and private and public owners) in a wide range of construction matters.
In mediations, arbitrations, and trials, Jon has pursued and defended claims on behalf of clients relating to design defects, delay, disputed/changed work, and other nonpayment issues. He has significant expertise in public work, from contract negotiation to bid protests, claims, and mid-stream compliance issues.
Jon’s litigation practice extends beyond construction into the areas of business, real estate, and other commercial matters. He has litigated and resolved environmental cleanup cases, condominium and land use disputes, and actions arising out of various financial and commercial transactions.
Before joining Anderson & Kreiger, Jon was a Partner in a nationally-recognized construction practice at another Boston law firm, where he practiced for nearly ten years.
Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009-2014
Boston Chamber of Commerce Future Leaders, 2016
ABA Forum on Construction Law
Associated Builders and Contractors of Massachusetts
Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts: Program Advisory Committee
Construction Financial Management Association of Massachusetts: Board of Directors, Program Committee
Ipswich Education Foundation, Vice President
Ipswich Youth Lacrosse, Board Member
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2002
Articles Editor, Journal of Science and Technology
Middlebury College, B.A., 1998, Honors
- Advised developer client in connection with construction of 60+ story residential tower, including issues involving structural impact on neighboring buildings.
- Draft and negotiate contracts, and advice municipal client on all project-related matters for $300 Million school construction project.
- As lead counsel, defended general contractor against $5 million subcontractor claim for extra work related to design and installation of complex modular panelized exterior wall system. Obtained favorable settlement after mediation.
- Obtained arbitration award dismissing 100% of subcontractor’s claims against client for breach of contract arising out of allegedly unpaid extra work.
- After 10-day arbitration, obtained award granting liquidated damages to owner-client and limiting contractor’s recovery for delays to 10 percent of its claimed costs.
- Defeated summary judgment motion by state agency on behalf of contractor client, overcoming contractual “no damages for delay” clause and obtaining rare settlement to recoup client’s extended site conditions costs due to owner-caused delays.
- As lead counsel, defended general contractor against multimillion dollar subcontractor claim for delay, lost productivity, and extra work involving construction/renovation of college library. Obtained nominal-sum settlement after mediation.
- Won dismissal of subcontractor claims against general contractor client stemming from allegations that client violated prequalification process for public college construction projects.
- Part of a team of attorneys that represented principal owner of wind farm operator in $20 million claim against design/build contractor for construction defects related to wind turbine foundation design; obtained favorable settlement after mediation.
- On behalf of large transportation company, won dismissal of bid protest litigation related to school busing contract, following successful motion to block portions of plaintiff’s requested discovery.
- Represented corporate stakeholder in dispute over contested purchase of ownership rights in closely-held LLC, negotiating favorable business outcome for all interested parties.
- “The Claims Process: How to Avoid Losing Your Rights Without Getting Caught in the Middle,” presented to AGC of Massachusetts, September 4, 2019.
- "Playing It by the Book: Avoiding False Claims and Other Risks of Contracting with the Government," presented to CFMA of Massachusetts, October 2016.
- "Key Clauses in Construction Contracts," presented to AICPA National Conference on the Construction Industry, Las Vegas, NV, December 2013.
- Several presentations to construction industry groups in Massachusetts, including ABC, CFMA, and AGC.
- Authored articles and legal updates appearing in industry publications and firm newsletters, including Massachusetts Construction Compendium of Law (US Law Network, Inc., 2017 ed.) (with Robert T. Ferguson).
Jon lives in Ipswich, Massachusetts with his wife and three energetic children. He spends much of his free time watching his kids play sports and attempting to relive his youth by playing them (poorly) himself.