Nina helps both public and private sector clients navigate issues related to construction, land use and real estate. She is skilled at drafting agreements in those areas to protect her clients, and strategically litigating on their behalf when it is necessary. She has successfully litigated a broad range of construction, real estate and land use matters – including permitting and zoning issues – for her clients at all levels in Massachusetts and Federal courts.
Nina also regularly advises public sector clients, such as the Towns of Acton, Dover, Lexington and Concord, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), and the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, on a full range of legal matters – from compliance to complex litigation. She has guided these clients through developing and implementing procurements, providing support for Town Meeting and public or administrative hearings, and training on the requirements of the State Ethics Act, the Open Meeting Law and the Public Records Act.
Nina is also part of an innovative Construction Project Delivery Think Group made up of national construction industry leaders that are working on finding technologically-based solutions to hurdles faced in the project delivery process.
Massachusetts Super Lawyers - Rising Stars, 2015, 2016
Boston Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Land Use and Development Committee Co-Chair
Pickering Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees
Real Estate Litigation Section of American Bar Association, Co-Vice Chair of Content
Town of Dover, Town Counsel
Massachusetts Municipal Lawyers Association, Amicus Committee
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
Boston University School of Law, J.D. 2006 magna cum laude
Note Editor, Boston University Law Review
Bates College, B.S. 2000 cum laude
- Representing the MBTA in public records lawsuit against Boston Globe.
- Successfully defended City of Attleboro at trial against a challenge to its denial of a permit for an asphalt plant in an Industrial Business Park district.
- Defended a town’s right to use Community Preservation Acts funds to preserve two historic churches, including prevailing at the trial court level and arguing at the SJC resulting in a split decision and creation of new law on the Anti-Aid Amendment.
- Represent institutional owner/developer in Cambridge on a variety of construction-related contracts and disputes.
- Advising a major developer in Boston on construction and related contracts for proposed retail, commercial and residential tower.
- Won the dismissal of a large class action against MBTA for service disruptions in the winter of 2015.
- Successfully arbitrated a dispute over a real estate option contract for developer client.
- Obtained settlement for developer client through mediating claims against surveyor.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a Town in multi-party litigation over defective construction of fire stations.
- Successfully overturned regulations on Martha’s Vineyard that prohibited development.
- Negotiated below market commercial lease for client in settlement of zoning claims over proposed development.
- Defended a Town against a zoning challenge from daycare under the so-called Dover Amendment.
- Defended a Town against claims alleging procurement misconduct, including appeals.
- Defended the City of Philadelphia in federal court over plans to expand its airport.
- Defended an airport in a multi-count federal action, including RICO and antitrust claims, resulting in dismissal.
- Defended a Town against claims by the contractor of a recreation complex, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Represented a community group in shutting down a non-compliant hazardous waste transfer facility located in an environmental justice neighborhood.
- Represent neighborhood group in Maine against new development contrary to zoning.
- Conquering Construction Contracts: An Introduction to Drafting, Negotiating, and Interpreting Construction Contracts, 2018 NACUA Annual Conference, Speaker
- "Interstate Water Dispute Nears Decision by Supreme Court", ABA Section of Litigation, Real Estate, Condemnation, and Trust Litigation committee, June 8, 2018 (editor)
- "Preparing for Your First Appellate Oral Argument: A Practical Primer," and "Can Condemnation by Injunction by Gas Companies Be More Broadly Applied?" Real Estate Litigation, ABA Section of Litigation, Summer 2014 (editor)
- Chapter 7, Municipal Law, 2012 MCLE Supplement, Handbook of Legal Research in MA (9/5/12)
When not working, Nina tries to get outside with her husband and kids for adventures as much as possible, whether that be running, hiking, sailing or sledding. The best of those adventures take place in her native State of Maine.