With over forty years of experience, Scott litigates complex commercial and regulatory cases. His clients include business corporations, colleges and universities, and dozens of governmental entities, from coast to coast.
Scott has built a national airport practice, representing over 100 governmental airport owners in federal regulatory compliance matters, civil litigation and airport-airline negotiations.
As an active participant in the civil rights and anti-tobacco communities, Scott frequently takes on politically-charged cases.
The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial and Bet-the-Company Litigation (2007 - 2021)
Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Lawyers for Civil Rights Boston, Board of Directors Member, former Chair
Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, former General Counsel
Cambridge Planning Board, former Member
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Courts of Appeals, First, Third, Fifth, Ninth and D.C. Circuits
U.S. District Courts, District of Massachusetts and Northern District of Florida
Harvard Law School, J.D. 1974 cum laude
Yale College, B.A. 1971 magna cum laude
Honors in Economics
- On behalf of a variety of public health advocates, persuaded the federal court to order the FDA to promulgate a long-delayed regulation mandating graphic health warnings on cigarette packs.
- Structured the successful defense of massive claims against Genzyme Corporation in a case litigated in Cyprus.
- Won a campus free speech case for Tufts University in the SJC.
- Prevailed for Fidelity Investments in a precedent-setting case involving artists’ moral rights in both the First Circuit and SJC.
- Served as lead counsel to 46 states in billion dollar tobacco litigation.
- Won one of Massachusetts’ leading consumer class actions in the Supreme Judicial Court.
- Served as lead counsel in many prisoners’ rights actions involving free speech and conditions of confinement.
- Successfully defended a municipality’s ban on nerve gas testing by the U.S. Army.
- Successfully defended labor peace provisions of a controversial ordinance at Los Angeles International Airport that was challenged all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Persuaded the California state court to reject a state constitutional challenge to landing fees at Santa Monica Municipal Airport.
- Convinced the California state court to reject a claim by the City of Ontario that its sale of Ontario International Airport to the City of Los Angeles was null and void.
- Litigated closely-watched, precedent-setting cases for airport owners, including leading antitrust and RICO cases in the First Circuit, an important preemption case in the Third Circuit and rate-setting appeals in the D.C. Circuit.
- Successfully defended numerous regulatory complaints at the FAA.
- Represented many large, medium and small hub airport in the negotiation and drafting of airport-airline use and lease agreements.
Scott speaks at conferences throughout the United States on complex litigation and airport regulation.
Scott has taught a seminar at Columbia Law School and spoken at various national conferences about the moral rights of artists.