Anderson & Kreiger’s internal investigation team is led by Carmen Ortiz, former United States Attorney, and David Mackey, former General Counsel of the Massachusetts Port Authority. Our team has experience in conducting sensitive and complex internal investigations on behalf of public sector entities, private corporations and non-profits, including educational institutions. The investigations have involved allegations of potential federal grant fraud, sexual misconduct, environmental spills, ethics violations and criminal misconduct.
We have also guided the institutional response to numerous workplace investigations, ensuring that adequate steps are promptly taken to address inappropriate behavior and that policies and processes are reviewed and improved to better ensure future compliance. We have provided the legal advice needed to respond to investigations and compliance reviews by federal and state regulators, as well as the Massachusetts Inspector General, Attorney General, Commission Against Discrimination, and State Ethics Commission.
Our relevant experience includes:
- Appointed Special Master by Federal District Court Judge to prepare a detailed report regarding facts supporting a guilty plea to several Clean Air Act felony charges.
- Conducted internal investigations for public sector client into concerns about misuse of millions of dollars of federal grant funds and violations of grant requirements. Results were reported to federal funding agency, money was repaid to agency and matter was closed without further action. Client substantially strengthened controls over grant funds.
- Conducted internal investigation for local educational institution regarding alleged improper disposal of hazardous chemical. Matter was investigated and reported to state regulators and no further action was taken. Clients substantially strengthened training and protocols for dealing with hazardous substances.
- Conducted internal investigation for public sector client relating to suspected theft by employees of cash receipts. Helped implement, with significant involvement from internal audit department and operations personnel, the client’s transition away from cash operations.
- Conducted internal investigation for public sector client related to payroll fraud. Helped implement internal controls and other changes to payroll practices to eliminate risk of payroll fraud going forward.
- Conducted independent internal investigation for corporate client to determine if former CFO had engaged in fraudulent wrongdoing by failing to report a financial transaction in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. After thorough investigation, no wrongdoing was found and confirmed company had responded appropriately upon learning of the allegations.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a local educational institution regarding allegations of sexual harassment and gender discrimination by male superior that was resulting in a toxic work environment for the complainant. Helped client respond to findings, including strengthened training on workplace harassment and discrimination policies.
- Conducted internal investigation at public agency regarding allegations of an improper relationship between two senior managers and potential for creating a hostile work environment. Drafted report of factual findings and recommendations for disciplinary action and training program for all staff.
- Conducted internal investigation for local educational institution regarding allegations of ethical violations by managers. Assisted client in responding to allegations and following up with training in best management practices.