A&K serves many Massachusetts municipalities as special counsel. We litigate for towns, and have counseled on: environmental, real estate, affordable housing, sustainable energy and rail trail matters. Some of the municipalities we have most recently worked for include:
The ability to serve a town is the kind of meaningful work that attracts lawyers to our firm rather than any other. We have been practicing municipal law since our founding over 25 years ago.
Below are some recent examples of our work.
- We helped Attleboro with a Superfund site that was partly within its borders in successfully mediating liability with the many potentially responsible private parties, and in negotiating a consent decree with the Department of Justice.
- We helped Cambridge acquire East Cambridge properties in connection with one of the largest private developments in the City. We also helped with its sewer infrastructure improvement project, undertaken as part of the Boston Harbor clean-up litigation.
- We successfully settled environmental claims against Cambridge, alleging coal ash contamination from the City’s former municipal incinerator.
- For Wakefield, we successfully settled excess profits litigation brought against a 40B affordable housing complex’s developer.
- We defended Revere against civil enforcement actions involving sanitary sewer overflows with illicit discharges to storm drains, and recently negotiated favorable terms with the Department of Justice in a proposed consent decree.